Oh EM GEE… It's the middle of February, and my golf season starts in 3 weeks! Yikes!
Over the last six weeks, I have been super busy with school, my internship, and golf! I've kept myself busy with three main things, and a bonus activity or two. Just like in high school, spring semester in college is crazy busy!
- School - as you already know it's my senior semester, and to be honest it is pretty chilled. I'm taking 12 credits including an internship. However three classes are English, and they sure keep me busy.
- Internship - I am lucky enough to intern on campus with Travis, the sports information director. It works so well with my major, and I am loving it so far. It takes up my boring Tuesday and Thursday nights and time flies by.
- Golf - we all know what Missouri weather is like-bipolar to the max. Golf has been up and down just like the weather. Sometimes we go out to play or sometimes we are stuck indoors. However everyone is getting back into it and we are ready to compete.
- Food Trips to Columbia - my teammate and good friend Alex Bankovich and I have made at least 8 Chipotle trips so far this semester, thrown in with some Olive Garden and Andy's Frozen Custard. Yep, I said it--Andy's in freezing weather. Columbia is only 25-30 minutes away, so whenever we are craving some fattening food that isn't available in Fulton, we just hop right in the car!
- Tanning - it's about that time of year when I buy a monthly tanning package from Fulton’s Tanfastic salon. So 20 minutes before or after eating at Tucker Dining Hall, I pop right there to keep my bronze colour going in the winter.
There are plenty more fun things going on around campus at this time and before we know it, it will be May! Happy February, guys!
Hello all, welcome back to my blog!
To begin this post, I must warn you that I am writing as an advocate for love who has been through the freshman year of college transition with my high school sweetheart in tow. I learned a lot from my experience that I would like to pass on. Hopefully it will help you out with a decision or two that you might be making here in the near(ish) future.
First things first: This is not a decision that I can make for you at the end of this article. Every situation is a little different, and you'll have to exercise some independent thought to make the choice that is best for you.
You know that comfort zone that you have achieved with your sweetheart in just about any situation high school could offer? Prepare for all of that to change when you go to college. You will both enter situations that are foreign to you with new people, new rooms, perhaps an unknown roomie, new schedules, and new lives. This will eventually change you. You may not notice it, but the person you are dating most certainly will notice the shift in your personality. You will both grow at different rates and adapt to the culture that is surrounding you. Be prepared.
I have always heard that distance (or absence) makes the heart grow fonder. In some cases this may be true. I have seen it go both ways. One week you'll be Facetiming daily, feeling a close bond, then the next week homework sets in and neither of you really have the time or energy to sit down and dedicate a few minutes to one another. It's sad but true. It may come to a point where going out with your new friends on the weekends will overcome that urge you once had to drive a couple hours to spend an evening with your loved one.
I hate to say this because it's quite a terrible creature, but there is going to be some temptation. This temptation may come in the form of the opposite or same sex, it may come from the dining hall, it may come from the activities you choose to indulge in. Whatever the situation may be, you will be tempted to steer your life in one or two different directions in some areas of your life.
College has a strange way of rearranging your priorities. If you really want to know, people sort of come and go. Life has a way of bringing people in to travel the path of life with you, but your never know how long they'll walk along side of you. One minute you might know they are the one for you, then the next you're not so sure. There are some paths that may be better traveled in singularity. Often I've seen the high school sweetheart as more of a safety blanket for the incoming college student. Having confidence and being comfortable must come from within yourself.
Love, peace, and chicken grease.
Well, it's official! The spring 2014 semester has begun. All the students moved back into their rooms yesterday and classes started today! I'm definitely very excited to be back on campus after being gone all last semester for my internships, although I have to admit that it did feel a little weird to actually move in again. It feels like it's been forever since I lived on campus!
It's good to be back, though. On Mondays and Wednesdays I have a class called Visionary Leadership, and it's one of the last classes that I need to graduate! There are only seven people in it, which I think will lend itself to some great class discussions. I am also taking the communication capstone course and a legal studies class called Law, Ethics, and Morality. I imagine I will be writing a lot about my communication capstone class - from what I hear, it will be a lot of work! The legal studies class will be fun, too; I'm looking forward to evaluating some current social issues and examining both sides of the arguments. Finally, I'm taking the theatre senior project class, in which I will work with other graduating seniors to put on a show! It's going to be busy, but I think it will be a lot of fun!
Of course, my excitement to be back on campus goes much farther than just getting used to my new classes! I got my room all set up last night and I was finally reunited with Kassi, my amazing little sis in the Alpha Chi house! It is so great to see everyone again. I definitely missed being on campus last semester much more than I anticipated, so it is really great to be able to come back and enjoy spending time with everyone again for my last semester!
Well, I think that about wraps up this post... Since school is back underway, I will once again be posting every week! I hope you'll stick around as I journey through my last semester. Maybe I'll even get to meet some of you at one of the campus visit days or if you come get a tour! 🙂