As an international student, at the end of last semester, I was understandably excited to go back home to the UK. The month flew by. I was readjusting myself to home life, which was basically eating good food and hanging out with family and friends. New year was over, and that was when I had to get my mind back in school mode. My last ever semester here at The Woods!
Here are some tips for making that kind of adjustment:
- Be Disciplined: it is back to reality! You have to have your mind set and make your dreams a reality. Learning to discipline yourself is one of the greatest things you get out of college.
- Focus on Health: from all the food and zero workouts I did over the break, I have to get back in the swing of things (pardon the pun) for golf. This means eating healthy and working out.
- Find Balance: being a college athlete is rewarding, but it also can be very difficult to balance. School comes first here at The Woods and then sport. But we are very lucky to have professors who will give you extra help if you are busy with a sport. You have to stay on top of things and always ask for help if you need it.
- Focus on Friends: college is your second home, so having lots of friends and keeping busy gets your mind off family and friends at home. Sitting with someone new at Tucker or going to the McNutt Center for a game of pool really takes your mind off it.
- Keep your Options Open: as it is my last semester, I am currently looking for jobs, and working out what I am going to do with my future. It helps to keep your resume updated as you progress through school by going to see our Career Services director, Amy Dittmer, who is always there to help.
I hope this helps. Keep busy and time will fly by. I promise you!
Christmas break has officially begun for the students at WWU! 🙂
The home stretch of the fall semester can be pretty challenging for some students… After Thanksgiving break (during which most students go home), there are only two weeks left: finals week and the week before. Since Thanksgiving break comes so late in the fall semester, it can be difficult to find the motivation to go back to school to finish up! But once again, we have all made it through and are enjoying our first week off!
At WWU, we’re lucky enough to get an entire month off during Christmas break! It seems like a long time at first, but that month definitely goes by pretty quickly once all the holiday celebrations get going. I am always amazed by how quickly the time flies!
My fiancé and I just started taking ballroom dance lessons (which is SO much fun, by the way!) so I’m going to spend a lot of my free time over break practicing that! I’m also going to spend as much time with all our families as possible – as well as with some old friends that I haven’t seen in a while, such as my old roommate who graduated two years ago!
I probably won’t post another blog until the first week of the spring semester, which will begin on January 13th. In the meantime, I hope you all have a wonderful break and a fabulous holiday season! I will talk to you soon! 🙂